After months of waiting, the time has come when we can all officially start to experience a level of normality that will never been taken for granted again. Here, guest writer Hannah Wright of My Southwold offers her top 10 things to do this Spring.
From touching the fabric on new clothings hanging in a shop to check “it’s good quality” to browsing through a glossy magazine whilst someone coifs your hair to the point you look like a Vidal Sassoon model or even pondering over a menu at your favourite restaurant whilst the waiter hoovers over you… From Monday 12th April some of these things can be – to some extent – experienced again – hurrah!
With this in mind, we thought we’d give you the top ten favourite things to do in our lovely coastal town of Southwold.
1. Get pampered – treat yourself to a facial or manicure and pedicure.. or even all three, well why not we’ve been in lockdown since December! Southwold has a selection of well-respected beauty salons that offer impeccable service and high end treatments that will have you feeling like a million dollars from the moment you give your name at reception. Two of our favourite are The Retreat and Blush and Glow – both on the high street and easy to find.
2. Get a new style – embrace a new you with an exciting new bob or pixie cut ready for the summer. There is an array of hairdressers to choose from, Serin and Noir are excellent coiffeurs for us females while Chapps offers a manly short back and sides barbers that takes beard trimming to another level. Located on Southwold High Street or Station Road.
3. Spot of lunch – one thing Southwold isn’t short of is great restaurants and cafes and with businesses now able to offer an outdoor seating area, its well worth booking yourself in for lunch at one of the local hot spots. Our favourites include, The Sail Loft for their lobster risotto that inevitably makes you involuntarily close your eyes as you enjoy each mouthful or if you want something on the High Street then Sutherland House’s outdoor garden is where to head for a delicious two course meal.
4. Hole in one – need some exercise that lets you take in the stunning scenery of Southwold’s harbour, common and skyline yet allows you to walk off that veritable feast you had for lunch, then Southwold’s Golf Club offers day passes for visitors keen to give that nine iron a swing.
5. Embrace retail therapy – get immersed in fabrics and be attended too like royalty with visits to Collen and Clare and Mea boutique, both of whom stock an array of fabulous on trend dresses, trainers, perfectly formed white t-shirts and even some hip insta-worthy jewellery that barely stays in the shop longer than it takes to snap a photo. Personal shopping is the new ‘me-time’ and if you find yourself wanting little something more, then book yourself in for a one to one personal shopping session with Morgan at Collen & Clare.
6 – From jumpers to polos – let’s not forget the men amongst us who enjoy a bit of retail therapy too. With new shops such as Edge Clothing on Station Road now open, alongside our Southwold staples, Blackshore Clothing and Thomas Traddles, there is no reason for the men in your life to continue wearing those jogging bottoms and trainers.
7 – why go home? – with self catering properties now open for bookings, why even bother to go home. Book one of the cosy properties offered by Durrants and enjoy Southwold’s early morning sunrises over the Pier and its stunning sunsets that melt into the horizon behind the water tower and across the harbour.
8 – Get your heart rate up – enjoy a game of tennis or take to the sea with a surf board, whatever your sporting motivation, Southwold is the perfect place to bike, play, run, swim or surf the day away. For more information, contact Tennis … Surf School…
9 – Enjoy the views – take a stroll around our foot trail and experience first hand the reason Southwold is within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. If you need a teaser, check out of the foot path trail before you leave. It’s taken from a birds eye view, literally! https://youtu.be/hnf81J2y_mw
10 – Download the new MySouthwold App – the digital directory that showcases the wide variety of businesses and services available, along with all the fun and exciting things to do and places to visit and explore in Southwold.